This position is eligible for advancement under the City's Automatic Promotion Policy.
Under general supervision, perform preventative and corrective maintenance of City owned vehicles and equipment for the Fleet Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department in accordance with the City of Alamogordo Ordinances, Personnel Policies, Department Policies and Procedures, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- High school graduation or its GED equivalent;
- Two (2) years of experience in automotive, heavy equipment, and diesel repair;
- Two (2) Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications or the ability to obtain them within six months of hire date;
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered); or
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Graduate of a formal technical school in a related field.
- Perform scheduled maintenance on vehicles and equipment, including tune-ups, oil changes, battery checks, tire and lubrication checks, and other preventive maintenance;
- Repair and maintain vehicle air conditioning units and cooling systems, including radiators, compressors, water pumps, thermostats, belts;
- Troubleshoot and repair vehicle ignition and electrical systems, including wiring, solenoid relays, alternators;
- Repair and maintain braking systems, including master cylinders, rotors, brake pads, drums;
- Repair and maintain vehicle fuel systems, including fuel pumps, fuel filters, fuel lines, fuel gauges and fuel injectors;
- Perform vehicle suspension repairs and tire balancing;
- Clean and maintain tools, diagnostic equipment, and municipal garage;
- Complete and submit accurate work orders;
- Contribute to a high quality work culture through establishing, maintaining, and fostering positive and harmonious working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and other City personnel, outside agencies, and the public;
- Commit self to providing excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the customer, and resolve customer complaints; and
- Perform duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City wide and Departmental Polices and Procedures and, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- May be required to work outside of normal hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Automotive and equipment maintenance and mechanics;
- Safe operation and repair of automotive, light equipment, including brake, and electrical systems; and
- Repair of gasoline and/or diesel engines.
- Understand and follow written and verbal instructions;
- Diagnose problems and repair vehicles;
- Tolerate adverse working conditions;
- Read and understand wiring diagrams and electrical circuits;
- Operate diagnostic equipment; and
- Obtain and maintain required automotive certifications.
- Work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects;
- May be subject to repetitive motion;
- Risk of physical injury;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Position required to wear protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-05 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1376 E 9th St
Alamogordo, NM 88310