Provide assistance with the Keep Alamogordo Beautiful (KAB) program a division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- This is a state grant funded student intern position;
- Applicants must be between the ages of sixteen (16) and twenty-five (25) years;
- Clerical experience in an office environment;
- Must have a valid New Mexico Drivers License and a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered).
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- More than one (1) year of experience working, supervising, and/or volunteering with youths in service oriented programs.
- Assist as needed in the daily operations of Keep Alamogordo Beautiful (KAB) including general clerical duties such as typing, filing, answering phones, and computer work on programs to include but not limited to Microsoft Office Programs and Adobe Programs; operate light equipment such as a power tools, hand tools, etc.;
- Work directly with the public including youth, teens, adults and senior citizens; answer questions and inquiries regarding the KAB program;
- Organize and participate in various beautification and education programs and community cleanups;
- Promptly reports any and all safety concerns to the KAB Program Coordinator;
- Sets up and takes down equipment used in activities and special events;
- Assists with special events/programs organized by the KAB;
- Safely operate hand and power tools of different styles, makes, and models necessary for event set up and take down; including light grounds keeping and litter control when necessary to ensure a pleasing visual presentation of an event;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Duties may be performed outside of normal working hours;
- Maintain the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General office procedures; and
- Service oriented programs.
- Commit self to providing excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the Citizens of Alamogordo;
- Maintain accurate records type and enter data accurately;
- Perform simple mathematical calculations; demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communications;
- Operate standard office equipment, including computer using Microsoft Office and Adobe programs and data inquiry software;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees and the general public and participate in a team oriented environment;
- Safely operate hand and power tools, weed eater, push mower etc. of different styles, makes, and models;
- Safely operate a golf cart when necessary;
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions;
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently;
- Interact with other employees and citizens in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the department and all City organizations at all times; and
- Maintain and enhance KAB’s commitment to customer service excellence.
- Work will be performed both indoors and outdoors;
- Varied outdoor weather conditions may include heat, rain, wind, odors, dust, and pollen;
- Risk of physical injury while participating in activities/events;
- The noise level in the work area may be moderately noisy.
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk; bend, turn, twist, kneel, squat, and reach; lift and carry, push or pull up to 50 pounds independently or with assistance;
- Required to wear activity-appropriate attire which may include personal protective equipment (PPE) and protective footwear with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C/75 per ASTM F2413-11 for some job assignments; and
- Must be able to work odd and irregular hours including shift work, days, nights, weekends, holidays, and special events.