Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Facility Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent;
- Valid Journeyman Refrigeration License (JR) issued by the New Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department (reciprocity agreement not available in NM); and
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered).
- Facility Maintenance experience including carpentry, plumbing, and basic electrical.
- Performs preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and repairs on heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment, including work on compressors, pneumatic valves and controls, chilled and hot water systems, cooling towers, boilers, water coolers, package units, split systems, air handlers, fan coil units, pumps, walk-in coolers and freezers, and exhaust fans;
- Assists in maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing electrical and mechanical kitchen and laundry equipment, including washing machines, clothes dryers, dishwashers, grills, garbage disposals, coffee pots, toasters, deep fryers, mixers, can openers, ranges, ovens, and food carts;
- Troubleshoots and repairs electrical systems relating to HVAC units, including fuses, breaker boxes, relays, thermostats, and contactors;
- Assists the Facility Maintenance Technician in minor construction work during building remodeling and repair, including but not limited to framing, installing sheetrock and paneling, painting, replacing doors and windows;
- Performs miscellaneous building repairs, including concrete work, and roof patching;
- Orders parts and supplies needed to complete repairs;
- Performs minor custodial work;
- Safely operates a motor vehicle;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Must maintain required licenses;
- Occasional non-traditional work hours will be necessary outside normal business hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays for emergencies or stand by duties;
- May be asked to support other departments with personnel, equipment, or training as part of the City "team" effort;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Job-related O.S.H.A requirements;
- Safe use of hand and power tools, test equipment, and other job-related equipment necessary to perform duties;
- Building maintenance techniques including construction, plumbing, electrical systems, framing, and heating and air conditioning systems; and
- Regulations and requirements of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as it relates to facility accessibility.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; understand and follow instructions;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and other City personnel, outside agencies, and the public;
- Safely operate tools and equipment used to complete work;
- Maintain professionalism under pressure;
- Work without close supervision;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Analyze problems; identify, recommend, and implement solutions;
- Maintain accurate legible records and completion of work notices as required;
- Operate a computer using standard City software (MS Word/Excel), City Database and any other software and/or hardware used by division;
- Safely utilize chemicals according to Safety Data Sheets (SDS);
- Learn and follow the Division’s standard operating procedures, M.U.T.C.D. standards, and effective traffic control techniques; and
- Learn and follow the City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, and lifting heavy objects;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, and driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- Work is performed near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places at times;
- May be exposed to electrical shock hazards;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear, clearly marked by manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C/75 per ASTM F2413-11.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1376 E 9th St
Alamogordo, NM 88310