- High School Diploma or GED equivalent;
- Previous laborer experience;
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered);
- Or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Experience operating equipment such as backhoe, chipper and compactor.
- Previous Transfer Station experience.
- Drives a collection vehicle over a designated route, picking up solid waste containers, including recyclables or yard waste; returns to provide an empty container to the original pick up site;
- Operates various equipment associated with disposal procedures, including utility truck, backhoe, chipper, and compactor;
- Observes surrounding conditions such as citizens, equipment, property, etc. in order to ensure that solid waste is collected is a safe manner;
- Regulates traffic in hazardous conditions in order to ensure safe conditions for Collection personnel and the public;
- Checks oil, water, fuel, tires, hydraulic system, etc. and makes appropriate adjustments on a regular basis to ensure vehicles and equipment is in proper operating condition;
- Performs Collection Center opening and closing duties;
- Answers questions from the public in person and on the telephone regarding Collection Center operations, dumping, recycling, hazardous waste, and other related matters and directs customers to appropriate locations;
- Assists in conducting on-site inspections and screening of incoming waste;
- Assists in maintaining records of waste volume and type, and compiling data into monthly reports;
- Maintains work area, cleans and performs general custodial duties;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Provides backup to other Collection Center positions;
- Must be able to maintain required licenses and certifications, if any;
- Non-traditional work hours will be necessary during evenings, weekends and on holidays;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Effective customer service techniques; and
- Safe operation of equipment and/or machinery including utility truck, backhoe, chipper and compactor.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions;
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Operate cleaning, maintenance, and mechanical equipment safely including power and/or hand operated tools;
- Learn personnel policies and procedures;
- Learn disposal policies and procedures;
- Perform strenuous work in the outdoors and tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team-oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and customers in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the department and all City organizations always; and
- Maintain and enhance the Public Works Department’s commitment to customer service excellence.
- Work is typically performed in the outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, and driving;
- Must be in good physical condition and be able to regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- Risk of physical injury and exposure to hazardous chemicals, fumes, materials, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear, clearly marked by manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C/75 per ASTM F2413-11.
The City of Alamogordo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.