Accounts Payable Specialist
Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Accounting Division of the Finance Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Valid NM Drivers License within 60 days of employment, with a driving record insurable by the City of Alamogordo;
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent;
- Two (2) years of experience performing accounts payable duties;
- Two (2) years of experience performing clerical duties;
- Or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Accounting or Business classes from a higher learning institution.
- Performs a variety of full performance level complex clerical and accounting functions as required to maintain and monitor financial records processes accounts payable and works with vendors and requester to answer questions or resolve problems;
- Answers questions from requester and vendors regarding invoices and payments, resolves related problems, distributes requested documents, and accepts various documents to facilitate the purchase order process;
- Prepares and tracks invoices for payment and matches to purchase orders;
- Enters and verifies payable documents and purchase order data in computer;
- Creates various reports to generate checks, including expenditure appropriation lists (EAL), vendor lists, appropriations/expenditure reports, quarterly reports;
- Prepares and verifies vouchers and associated reports for non-purchase order payments such as field purchase orders (FPOs), check requests, travel;
- Compiles data and prepares various reports as required;
- Responsible for all city utility accounts (electric, gas, water, phone etc.);
- Responsible for filing of Accounts Payable documents;
- Provides general clerical and administrative support for the finance department;
- Provides training on A/P policy and procedures as well as recommending changes to the policy and procedures as needed;
- Provides support to other department sections as necessary;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances; city wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures; and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), especially as they relate to municipalities;
- Microsoft Excel and Word; and
- Departmental policies and procedures.
- Interpret public purchasing ordinances;
- Appropriately apply accounting principles;
- Perform simple and semi-complex mathematical calculations;
- Analyze data;
- Prepare reports neatly and accurately;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communications;
- Operate standard office equipment, including computers using standard word processing (Microsoft Word), spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel), and data inquiry software; and
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, city officials, department heads, and vendors.
- Position requires light physical demands including the ability to lift and move materials weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Position requires frequent use of multi-line telephone, personal computer, and calculator.
- This position has considerable flexibility to structure daily activities between sitting, standing, and walking. The primary work environment is indoors in an office setting.