Detention Office Specialist Full-Time
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: Two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in office procedures.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Direct Supervisor: Detention Administrative Assistant
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (0); Indirect (0)
Primary Work Location: Works in an office environment.
Certification: This position requires a valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
Job Summary: The Office Specialist will perform a wide variety of responsible secretarial work in support of assigned department; type and proofread a variety of documents and correspondence and provide information, assistance to the public regarding department policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Responds to all public inquiries, give information, explain procedures, answering questions and assist the general public.
- Type, word process and proofread all documents including reports, agendas and general correspondence from rough draft or verbal instruction; Input and retrieve data.
- Perform cashier duties including posting of monies in computer and processing payments; all monies and receipts are balanced and prepared for deposit.
- Operate various office equipment such as a computer, typewriter, telephone, photo copier, facsimile machine, calculator and postage machine.
- Run computer generated reports daily, review for accuracy and distribute accordingly
- Retrieve incoming/outgoing mail, verify and sort for complete address, maintain records for indigent.
- Assist in preparing, maintaining and organizing all year-end detention bookings and storage. Scan records into document system.
- Answer and screen telephone calls for department; distribute messages.
- Perform a variety of general clerical duties as assigned.
- Assist in the distribution of office supplies as required.
- Manage service orders for equipment.
- Allocate inmate funds placing commissary orders and credit shortages, verify inmates on discipline.
- Schedule pastoral and inmate visitation
- Record monies taken for Detention Home Surveillance and Work Release Programs
- Daily distribution of correspondence with other County Departments
- Verify inmate property and amnesty for release
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Basic principles and procedures of record keeping.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Modern office procedures and methods.
- Computer operations, as well as various other office equipment.
- Principles of mathematics.
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer terminal, related software programs, printer, calculator, fax, and copier.
- Telephone etiquette
- Learn to accurately tabulate record and balance assigned transactions.
- Interpret, explain and enforce Department policies and procedures.
- Maintain a variety of records and files.
- Type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
- Operate and use modern office equipment including a computer.
- Work cooperatively with other departments, County Officials and outside agencies.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The following physical abilities are required:
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Operating assigned equipment.
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations and communicating with others.
Detention Facility environment; exposure to dangerous persons, firearms, noise and body fluids; may be exposed to emergency situations; may work in stressful situations.
The employee is expected to follow all safety procedures as required.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. The contents of this position description may be changed without notice, and employment may be terminated by either party, at will. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
How to Apply:
Sheriff/Detention Application - Complete application and return it to:
Otero County Administration Office
1101 New York Ave
Alamogordo, NM 88310.