- High school diploma or its GED equivalent;
- Three (3) years of experience in medium and heavy truck, heavy equipment, and diesel repair;
- At least two (2) Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certificates in heavy truck repair and/or diesel repair;
- Valid New Mexico Driver License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo;
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Graduate of a formal technical school in a related field.
- Performs scheduled maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment, including tune-ups, oil changes, battery checks, tire and lubrication checks, and other preventive maintenance;
- Repairs and maintains heavy equipment and vehicles air conditioning units and cooling systems, including radiators, compressors, water pumps, thermostats, belts;
- Troubleshoots and repairs heavy equipment and vehicle ignition and electrical systems, including wiring, solenoid relays, and alternators;
- Repairs and maintains braking systems, including master cylinders, rotors, brake pads, drums on heavy equipment and vehicles;
- Repairs and maintains heavy equipment and vehicle fuel systems, including fuel pumps, fuel filters, fuel lines, fuel gauges and fuel injectors;
- Performs vehicle suspension repairs and tire balancing;
- Cleans and maintains tools, diagnostic equipment, and municipal garage;
- Completes and submits accurate work orders;
- Contributes to a high quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards;
- Performs duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- May be required to work outside of normal hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Medium truck, heavy truck, and heavy equipment maintenance and mechanics;
- Safe operation and repair of medium and heavy truck, and heavy equipment, including brake, electrical systems, hydraulic systems, and diesel engine repair; and
- Repair of gasoline and diesel engines.
- Understand and follow written and verbal instructions;
- Diagnose problems and repair vehicles;
- Tolerate adverse working conditions;
- Read and understand wiring diagrams and electrical circuits;
- Operate diagnostic equipment; and
- Obtain and/or maintain required automotive certifications.
- Work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects;
- May be subject to repetitive motion;
- Risk of physical injury;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Position required to wear protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.
The City of Alamogordo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.