Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: Two to three (2-3) years of increasingly responsible automotive mechanical repair experience. Diesel engine experience, hydraulic systems, and welding experience.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent
Department: Solid Waste
Direct Supervisor: Solid Waste Superintendent
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (0); Indirect (0)
Primary Work Location: This employee primarily works in a mechanic shop.
Job Summary: Perform minor repairs on automotive and diesel equipment; to perform diagnostic activities for fuel and electrical systems; and to perform routine construction activities as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Inspect and diagnose mechanical and electrical defects and problems in automotive, construction, and other mechanical equipment.
- Perform diagnostic activities for fuel and electrical systems of gasoline and diesel-powered engines.
- Perform accurate measurements and tolerances.
- Replace component parts on vehicles and equipment; perform engine tune-ups and rebuild and overhaul engines; perform safety inspections on vehicles and equipment.
- Analyze failures; determine problems and causes; recommend solutions.
- Perform the preventive maintenance of vehicles and equipment including lubricating and replacing worn parts.
- Perform arc and gas welding and fabrication functions.
- Maintain specialized equipment.
- Read and interpret blueprints and schematic wiring diagrams.
- Service engine transmission and differential assemblies.
- Operate shop machinery including lathes, presses, grinders and blasters.
- Assist in the general maintenance and cleaning of automotive shop area.
- Estimate time, materials, and equipment required for jobs assigned.
- Requisition materials as required.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Principles and practices of inspection, troubleshooting and repair of internal combustion and diesel engines.
- Automotive and construction equipment.
- Electrical and fuel systems.
- Shop tools and equipment used in repairs.
- Arc and oxyacetylene welding.
- Thorough understanding of the County’s functions, policies, and procedures.
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Public relations and customer service.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer terminal, related software programs, printer, calculator, fax, and copier.
- Perform entry level diagnostic and repair services to County vehicles and equipment.
- Operate a variety of automotive repair tools and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose problems and causes in automotive, diesel construction and related systems.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
The following physical abilities are required:
- Maintain physical condition necessary for moderate to heavy lifting.
- May encounter toxic materials.
- Will be bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, and standing for prolonged periods of time.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Mobile service vehicle; exposure to weather / elements, noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases and toxic materials; work or inspect in confined spaces; and exposure to shop equipment.
Shop environment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases and toxic materials; work or inspect in confined spaces; and exposure to shop equipment.
The employee is expected to follow all safety procedures as required.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. The contents of this position description may be changed without notice, and employment may be terminated by either party, at will. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.