Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Utility Billing Division of the Finance Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- High School diploma, or equivalent;
- Experience in a high-volume customer service environment;
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License, or the ability to obtain within 60 days, with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered);
- Or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- One (1) year of experience as a Meter Reader.
- Reads water meters visually on assigned routes and records information for billing purposes;
- Performs and accomplishes assigned duties in a timely manner despite adverse weather conditions;
- Connects, disconnects, or reconnects water services as appropriate;
- Turns on meters to establish service to customers; turns off meters from cut-off reports and/or closing accounts; locks meters per service orders and directions;
- Identifies new meters that need to be added to routes;
- Corrects situations which prevent meter reading including clearing brush, cleaning meters, digging out boxes;
- Inspect /observe conditions of meters and radio read devices; notifies appropriate personnel of any damaged or non-functional meters and radio read devices;
- Reports situations involving vandalism, illegal taps, leaks, unsafe or broken meter can lids, weeds, obstructions, safety hazards, or other problems;
- Performs customer service; provides information related to meters, consumption, and procedures; responds to routine questions, requests for service, and initiates problem resolutions;
- Investigate customer complaints regarding high readings, continuous consumption, and no water; perform re-reads due to high use or suspicion of meter malfunctions; completes reports of findings in service order system;
- Leave door hangers, notifying customers of continuous consumption, returned payments, or non-payments;
- Monitor condition of assigned vehicle;
- Performs general cleaning/maintenance tasks necessary to keep equipment and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, greasing equipment, washing/cleaning equipment, or cleaning shop/work areas; monitor equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Maintain the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Simple mathematical calculations;
- The geographical layout of the assigned jurisdictions;
- The functions of meter reading operations;
- Policies, procedures and City Ordinances; and
- Safety standards and hazards to prevent injuries and accidents.
- Effectively deal with a wide range of persons, including individuals that may be upset over utility billing activities and policies;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public;
- Read various meter types and prepare reports containing findings and recommendations;
- Operate office equipment, including a personal computer using a database, spreadsheet, and word-processing software;
- Perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines;
- Quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and /or technology;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; understand and follow instructions;
- Perform tasks and other daily activities in a positive and professional manner alongside employees of varied backgrounds and personalities;
- Attend work, as scheduled and on a regular basis, to effectively perform the position’s essential duties and responsibilities; and
- Exercise common sense and good judgment in the performance of essential duties.
- Work is typically performed outdoors with occasional work indoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, and lifting heavy objects;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as digging and lifting meter lids;
- Lift and/or move items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds; the lifting of any object greater than fifty (50) pounds by a single individual is prohibited. Lifting objects, materials, or equipment weighing more than fifty (50) pounds require the buddy system or the use of devices designed to assist with lifting or moving. Proper lifting techniques shall be used when lifting items of any weight;
- Work is performed in some precarious places, hazardous traffic conditions, and on terrain that may be uneven or undeveloped; hazards include exposure to dogs, insects, rodents, snakes, and other wildlife typical of the southwest;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear, clearly marked by manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C/75, 6” ankle height, per current ASTM F2413 standards.