--- The salary advertised represents Step 1 on the pay table. Additional steps may be available depending on qualifications. ---
Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Street Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
Required at the time of hire:
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent;
- Three (3) years of industry experience in concrete/asphalt work or street maintenance, signage, and striping;
- Valid Traffic Control Supervisor (TCS) certification;
- Valid OSHA-compliant Forklift certification;
- Valid New Mexico Class A Commercial Driver’s License with a minimum endorsement of (N) and a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo;
- Or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- More than three (3) years of industry experience.
- Valid Pavement Marking Technician (PMT) certification or valid Signs & Pavement Marking Technician Level I certification.
- Responsible for proper traffic control compliance using the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (M.U.T.C.D.) standards that ensures employee safety with equal considerations for public safety and convenience;
- Performs duties safely by following industry safety standards for, and PPE including hearing and eye protection;
- With use of proper tools and equipment, excavates and removes, hauls, and disposes of asphalt, road base, sidewalks, curbs, driveways, alley aprons, and collars to complete assigned projects;
- Safely excavates, backfills, and tamps holes and trenches to grade using hand and power tools, and heavy equipment;
- Correctly and safely loads and unloads, ties down, and transports various types of equipment and supplies to and from work sites;
- Uses and operates various construction and maintenance equipment and tools such as trucks, light and heavy equipment, cutting and breaking equipment, jack hammer, tamper, and a full range of hand and power tools;
- Performs general equipment maintenance by routinely checking oil, water, fuel, tires, and hydraulic system on vehicles and equipment and makes appropriate adjustments to ensure vehicles are in proper and safe operating condition;
- Operates various equipment including but not limited to roller (rubber tire, steel wheel), backhoe, loader, forklift, motor graders, bulldozer, rotary broom, dump truck, water truck, pickup truck, pothole patcher, oil and asphalt distributors, paving machine, curb cutter, bobcat, street sweeper, and sand blasting unit;
- Loads materials onto trucks using front-end loaders;
- Fills out and supervises the proper filling out of required work orders;
- Ensures work areas and vehicles are organized and clean;
- Contributes to a safe and high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Performs maintenance and repairs of roads including grading, filling of holes, and cleaning of dips and ditches;
- Assists in road base preparation and sub-grading tasks related to paving;
- Obtains and distributes asphalt, seal coat, and oil to prepared road bases;
- Assists in patch sealing, including pothole repair, reconstruction of road shoulders, and crack sealing;
- Assists in patching potholes by removing loose material, filling with base material and premix, and tamping asphalt;
- Assists with asphalt paving/patching including transporting, dumping, spreading, raking, and rolling;
- Digs out driveways, sidewalks, curbs, and asphalt; and
- Performs tasks associated with bridge construction and repair.
- Performs construction, repair, and maintenance of driveways, sidewalks, and curbs;
- Performs concrete work, including setting forms, mixing, pouring, and finishing;
- Digs out driveways, sidewalks, and curbs; and
- Performs tasks associated with bridge construction and repair.
- Installs, repairs, and replaces street signs in accordance with M.U.T.C.D. standards;
- Paints street and parking lot lines;
- Installs street marking tapes and reflectors; and
- Maintains cleanliness of streets and gutters using street sweeping equipment.
- Performs maintenance of City alleyways including grading, filling of holes, and cleaning of dips and ditches.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Provides on-the-job training to less experienced personnel, as assigned;
- Must obtain and maintain required license(s) and/or certification(s);
- Required to perform on-call rotation duties outside of normal work hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Occasional non-traditional work hours may be necessary during evenings, weekends, and on holidays for emergency calls;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment used under the provisions of the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code relating to the operation of heavy and light equipment;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of City roadways and bridges;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of concrete related projects;
- Safety practices used when working around electrical, gas, water, and sewer systems;
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- Proper traffic control compliance using the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (M.U.T.C.D.) standards;
- D.O.T. Regulations for Rights of Way; and
- City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any other applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; understand and follow instructions; understand and follow drawings or blueprints;
- Perform tasks and other daily activities in a positive and professional manner alongside employees of varied backgrounds and personalities;
- Attend work, as scheduled and on a regular basis, to effectively perform the position’s essential duties and responsibilities;
- Exercise common sense and good judgment in the performance of essential duties;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Make mathematical computations;
- Demonstrate professionalism and tact with the public; respond quickly and positively to customer complaints;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Perform heavy manual labor;
- Safely operate various light and heavy equipment used in the daily activities of the Street Maintenance Division;
- Service and make minor repairs on equipment applying safety standards to prevent hazards;
- Manage simultaneous tasks and projects, and meet multiple deadlines;
- Analyze problems; identify, recommend, and implement solutions;
- Maintain professionalism under pressure; and
- Provide excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the citizens of Alamogordo.
- Work is typically performed in the outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, driving;
- Lift and/or move items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds; the lifting of any object greater than fifty (50) pounds by a single individual is prohibited. Lifting objects, materials, or equipment weighing more than fifty (50) pounds require the buddy system or the use of devices designed to assist with lifting or moving. Proper lifting techniques shall be used when lifting items of any weight;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous traffic conditions as well as hazardous chemicals, contaminants, and toxins;
- Will work near gas lines, meters, and other utilities including electric;
- Work will be performed near moving mechanical parts; and possibly in high or precarious places;
- Terrain may be uneven or undeveloped; and
- Required to wear hard hat and safety vest while working outside the service truck and any other personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11.
City Of Alamogordo
1376 E 9th St
Alamogordo, New Mexico, 88310