- Assists with making repairs on water and sewer leaks, including digging holes and trenches, using a backhoe and other equipment, and placing necessary shoring;
- Assists with making water and sewer taps and setting meters for new customers;
- Assists with the installation and replacement of water and sewer mains, service lines, curb stops, valves, meters, and hydrants;
- Performs and assists with preventive and corrective maintenance on water and sewer lines, including unclogging lines, exercising and/or replacing valves, repairing pumps, entering confined spaces with supervision, and testing for low water pressure;
- Performs beginner-level work involving the construction, renovation, modification, and installation of water distribution and collection systems in accordance with the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act (PL93-523), New Mexico Environment Department Water Quality Bureau, and the City of Alamogordo Technical Standards;
- Performs construction site dress-ups by pouring fill material, tamping, and landscaping over the affected area;
- Assists the Public Works Department in repairing roads and sidewalks, including performing concrete work after completion of leak maintenance or tap installation and line repairs;
- Assists with raising low manhole covers and meter boxes up to grade;
- Helps to ensure that assigned truck has adequate supplies, hauls materials to worksites, and maintains truck in proper working condition;
- Safely operates light and heavy equipment;
- Ensures work areas and service trucks are organized and clean;
- Assists in traffic control on worksites, as assigned;
- Drives a City vehicle in the performance of duties;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety-related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Must obtain and maintain required licenses and certifications;
- Required to perform on-call rotation duties outside of normal work hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Non-traditional work hours are necessary during evenings, weekends, and holidays to prevent or reduce the disruption of utility services to customers;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during the performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Skill and Ability to:
- Basic techniques of construction;
- Principles of customer relations;
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment;
- Basic mathematical principles;
- Proper traffic control compliance using the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (M.U.T.C.D.) standards;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of water and wastewater utility line systems;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of City roadways;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of concrete-related projects;
- Safety practices used when working around electrical, gas, water, and sewer systems;
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- D.O.T. Regulations for Right Of Ways;
- Federal Safe Drinking Water Act (PL93-523);
- New Mexico Environment Department Water Quality Bureau;
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code; and
- City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide Policies and Procedures, current City of Alamogordo Technical Standards, Departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and any other applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; understand and follow instructions;
- Perform tasks and other daily activities in a positive and professional manner alongside employees of varied backgrounds and personalities;
- Attend work, as scheduled and on a regular basis, to effectively perform the position’s essential duties and responsibilities;
- Exercise common sense and good judgment in the performance of essential duties;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Demonstrate professionalism and tact with the public; respond quickly and positively to customer complaints;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Perform heavy manual labor;
- Maintain professionalism under pressure; and
- Provide excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the citizens of Alamogordo.
- Work is typically performed outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, and swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, driving;
- Lift and/or move items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds; the lifting of any object greater than fifty (50) pounds by a single individual is prohibited. Lifting objects, materials, or equipment weighing more than fifty (50) pounds requires the buddy system or the use of devices designed to assist with lifting or moving. Proper lifting techniques shall be used when lifting items of any weight;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous traffic conditions as well as hazardous chemicals, contaminants, pathogens, and toxins;
- Will work near gas lines, meters, and other utilities, including electricity;
- Work will be performed near moving mechanical parts; and possibly in high or precarious places;
- Terrain may be uneven or undeveloped; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments, including protective footwear, marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per current ASTM F2413 standard.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!