- Assist with construction site dress-ups by pouring fill material, tamping, and landscaping over affected area;
- Help to ensure that assigned truck has adequate supplies and hauls materials to work sites;
- Ensure work areas are organized and clean;
- Contribute to a high quality work culture through establishing, maintaining, and fostering positive and harmonious working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and other City personnel, outside agencies, and the public;
- Commit self to providing excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the customer, and resolve customer complaints; and
- Perform duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Assist with raising low manhole covers and meter boxes up to grade;
- Assist with making repairs on water and sewer leaks, including digging holes and trenches, using backhoe and other equipment, and placing necessary shoring;
- Assist with making water and sewer taps and sets meters for new customers;
- Assist with installation and replacement of water and sewer mains, service lines; curb stops, valves, meters, and hydrants; and
- Perform and assist with preventive and corrective maintenance on water and sewer lines, including unclogging lines, exercising and/or replacing valves, entering confined spaces with supervision, and testing for low water pressure.
- Assist with maintenance and repairs of roads, including hand grading, filling of holes, and cleaning of dips and ditches;
- Assist in road base preparation and sub-grading tasks related to paving;
- Obtain and distribute asphalt, seal coat, and oil to prepared road bases;
- Assist in patch sealing, including pothole repair, reconstruction of road shoulders, and crack sealing;
- Assist in patching potholes by removing loose material, filling with base material and premix, and tamping asphalt;
- Assist with asphalt paving/patching, including transporting, dumping, spreading, raking and rolling;
- Assist with reconstruction of road shoulders;
- Dig out driveways, sidewalks, curbs, asphalt, etc.; and
- Perform simple tasks associated with bridge construction and repair.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Assist with construction, repair, and maintenance of driveways, sidewalks, curbs, etc.;
- Assist with concrete work, including setting forms, mixing, pouring, and finishing; and
- Assist with driveways, sidewalks, curbs, etc.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Occasional non-traditional work hours may be necessary during evenings, weekends and on holidays;
- Must be able to maintain required licenses and certifications; and
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic techniques of construction.
Skill & Ability to Learn:
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of water and wastewater utility line systems;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of City roadways;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of concrete related projects;
- Safety practices used when working around electrical, gas, water, and sewer systems;
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- D.O.T. Regulations for Right Of Ways;
- Federal Safe Drinking Water Act (PL93-523);
- New Mexico Environment Department Water Quality Bureau;
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code; and
- City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any other applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as digging and driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty
- (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- Work performed near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- Work in hazardous conditions involving traffic;
- Will work near gas lines, meters, and other utilities including electric;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Position required to wear protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.
The City of Alamogordo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.