This position is eligible for advancement under the City's Automatic Promotion Policy.
Under direct supervision perform daily work assignments of the Utility Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department in accordance with the City of Alamogordo Ordinances, Personnel Policies, Department Policies and Procedures, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- High school diploma or its GED equivalent;
- Experience working in a construction and/or maintenance environment;
- Valid New Mexico Driver's License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo; and/or
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Required within six (6) months of hire date:
New Mexico Class A Commercial Driver's License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo.
- Experience in water or wastewater utility line maintenance and construction.
- Valid New Mexico Class A Commercial Driver's License.
- Current Water Distribution System Level 1 and Wastewater Collection System Level 1 certifications issued by the New Mexico Water Quality Control Commission.
- Assist with making repairs water and sewer leaks, including digging holes and trenches, using backhoe and other equipment, and placing necessary shoring;
- Assist with making water and sewer taps and sets meters for new customers;
- Assist with installation and replacement of water and sewer mains, service lines, curb stops, valves, meters, and hydrants;
- Perform and assist with preventive and corrective maintenance on water and sewer lines, including unclogging lines, exercising and/or replacing valves, repairing pumps, entering confined spaces with supervision, and testing for low water pressure;
- Performs construction site dress-ups by pouring fill material, tamping, and landscaping over affected area;
- Assists street department in repairing roads and sidewalks, including performing concrete work after completion of leak maintenance or tap installation, and line repairs;
- Assist with raising low manhole covers and meter boxes up to grade;
- Help to ensure that assigned truck has adequate supplies and hauls materials to work sites and maintains truck in proper working condition;
- May train in and operate light and heavy duty equipment;
- Ensure work areas are organized and clean;
- Assist in setting up traffic control devices;
- Contribute to a high quality work culture through establishing, maintaining, and fostering positive and harmonious working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and other City personnel, outside agencies, and the public;
- Commit self to providing excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the customer, and resolve customer complaints; and
- Perform duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures and, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Occasional non-traditional work hours may be necessary during evenings, weekends and on holidays;
- Must be able to maintain required licenses and certifications;
- Maintain the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic techniques of construction.
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of water and wastewater utility line systems;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of City roadways;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of concrete related projects;
- Safety practices used when working around electrical, gas, water, and sewer systems;
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- D.O.T. Regulations for Right Of Ways;
- Federal Safe Drinking Water Act (PL93-523);
- New Mexico Environment Department Water Quality Bureau;
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code; and
- City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any other applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as digging and driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- Work performed near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- Work in hazardous conditions involving traffic;
- Will work near gas lines, meters, and other utilities including electric;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Position required to wear protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.