Customer Service Representative
Performs multi-faceted service functions relating to accepting and processing various utility payments through a computerized accounting system. Effectively handle public inquiries relating to water, sewer, and trash service turn-ons, turn-offs, billing, and data entry for meter data and account updates.
- High School Diploma, or equivalent;
- One (1) year of experience cashiering and accepting multiple payment forms including cash;
- One (1) year of experience operating a computerized accounting system;
- One (1) year of experience in a high volume customer service position;
- Must be bondable; and
- Valid New Mexico driver's license, or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of employment; with a driving record insurable by the City of Alamogordo; or
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Accepts application for water service; including transferring to a new location, processing applications for budget billing, bank drafting, customer address changes and preparing work orders;
- Accepts and processes all payments for assessments, permits, various City revenues, accounts receivables, cash deposits from other City departments, and mail/depositories from utility billing customers;
- Tabulates and verifies receipts balances to cash and prepares bank deposits;
- Completes the necessary forms when selling water meters;
- Answers questions from City employees and the general public regarding accounts receivables and utility billing policies and procedures;
- Directs customers to appropriate departments when necessary;
- Maintains records and processes notices on returned checks;
- Issues New Mexico State Taxation Numbers;
- Processes Business Registrations and maintains pertinent records;
- Performs random audits;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- May pick up departmental mail.
- Assists in maintaining pertinent files for annual financial audit.
- Assists in training of new employees.
- Work may be required outside of normal business hours.
- Maintain the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties.
- Performs such other duties and may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic bookkeeping procedures;
- Invoicing and collecting; and
- Departmental policies and procedures.
- Receive cash, make change and balance accounts accurately;
- Reconcile a cash drawer;
- Perform simple mathematical calculations;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication;
- Operate standard office equipment, including computers;
- Use standard word processing and data inquiry software;
- Operate a 10-key calculator by touch;
- Must be able to multi-task and perform in stressful situations;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, City department heads, financial institutions, and the general public; and
- Maintain confidentiality of customer information.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work performed is generally performed in a typical office environment.
- Some work outdoors in inclement weather may be necessary on occasion.