Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: One (1) year of responsible experience performing maintenance work involving the operation of heavy equipment.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Direct Supervisor: Project Foreman
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (0); Indirect (0)
Primary Work Location: This employee primarily works at construction sites.
Certification: This position requires a valid CDL Class A NM driver’s license.
Job Summary: To operate heavy maintenance equipment for road maintenance and repair, and to perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance tasks.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Operate heavy maintenance equipment related to road maintenance, including rollers, tractors, and related equipment in the maintenance of County roads.
- Use a variety of hand and power tools in performing maintenance functions, including rake, shovel, pick, tools, wrenches, air hose, gauges, wood chipper, and related equipment.
- Clean and install ditches, culverts and cattle guards; haul material for installation; collect and haul trash, garbage, debris, dirt, sand and gravel.
- Perform additional construction and maintenance tasks such as patching holes, building fences, trimming trees, snow removal, and a variety of minor repair activities.
- Build fences; drive fence posts.
- Cut brush off of roadways; use a variety of hand and power tools.
- Maintain and repair road signs; install sign posts.
- Identify equipment needs for each assigned project; maintain equipment.
- Perform preventive maintenance on heavy and light equipment as required; check and change lubricants; repair and/or change tires as required.
- Maintain production logs and records.
- Install street barricades and cones prior to the performance of street repair activities; direct and control traffic around work sites; water down streets and flush drains.
- Install rip rap and explosives; ensure compliance with proper safety precautions.
- Respond to and resolve citizen inquiries and complaints; direct complaints to Crew Leader as appropriate.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Operation and maintenance requirements of heavy power-driven equipment.
- Practices, methods, and materials used in general construction and maintenance work.
- Traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in heavy equipment operations.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Thorough understanding of the County’s functions, policies, and procedures.
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Use of heavy equipment and power tools.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer terminal, related software programs, printer, calculator, fax, and copier.
- Operate a variety of heavy power-driven equipment.
- Perform a variety of semi-skilled construction and maintenance tasks.
- Perform a variety of manual tasks for extended periods of time in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The following physical abilities are required:
- Maintain physical condition necessary for moderate to heavy lifting.
- May encounter toxic materials.
- Will be bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, and standing for prolonged periods of time.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Work in confined spaces and at heights.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Travel from site to site; construction site environment; exposure to dust, noise, toxic materials; work in inclement weather conditions.
The employee is expected to follow all safety procedures as required.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. The contents of this position description may be changed without notice, and employment may be terminated by either party, at will. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
How to Apply:
Complete and return application to:
Otero County Administration Office
1101 New York Ave
Alamogordo, NM 88310
OTERO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE.