Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Senior Center Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Transports senior citizens to and from the Senior Center, residence, and other locations to assist them in completing various errands, including shopping, doctors, beauty and barber shop appointments, bill paying, etc.;
- Drives buses and vans;
- Ensures vehicles and associated equipment are in good running condition, cleans vehicles when necessary, and arranges for preventive and corrective maintenance;
- Uses radios in vehicles staying in contact with the Senior Center and other drivers;
- Maintains required logs and documents associated with driving duties;
- Operates lift vehicle for disabled clients;
- Greets senior citizens and the general public on the telephone and in person, answers questions regarding Senior Center services, and directs individuals to appropriate party when necessary;
- Assists with advertising, planning, and driving for senior citizen trips sponsored by the Senior Center;
- May assist with maintaining and cleaning the Senior Center areas and facilities by taking out trash, cleaning out coffee pots and popcorn machines, arranging tables and chairs, mopping floors, etc.;
- May train new drivers when necessary;
- Performs duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances; City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Maintains safety equipment such as first aid kits and fire extinguishers
- Helps sort donations of items into the thrift store or library
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Maintain the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties;
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned;
- First aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) techniques;
- Safe operation of vehicles driven; and
- The provisions in the New Mexico motor vehicle code relating to the operation of the vehicle and its equipment.
- Read maps and become familiar with the area of service;
- Adapt to changes in routing and duties with a good disposition;
- Maintain a valid New Mexico Driver’s License with Class B passenger endorsement with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication;
- Understand and follow instructions;
- Work independently and responsibly;
- Demonstrate regular and reliable attendance;
- Operate a computer including standard word processing, database, and graphics software;
- Keep and maintain accurate records;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, senior citizens, and the general public,
- Interface with other employees and senior citizens in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the department and all City organizations at all times; and
- Maintain and enhance the Senior Center’s commitment to customer service excellence.
- The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job;
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions;
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear;
- The employee is required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, assist disabled passengers into and out of bus, lift and carry up to 40 pounds; and reach with hands and arms, bend and kneel;
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus;
- The noise level in the work environment I usually moderately quiet;
- While driving or assisting passengers into and out of bus; may involve exposure to high temperatures, cold, wind, rain; or any other inclement weather;
- Work performed in an indoor and outdoor environment to include driving and assisting passengers outdoors; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including no-slip footwear.