- Interprets all charts, trends, graphs and test results;
- Monitors, interprets, and adjusts computerized Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) controls;
- Reports and/or corrects unsafe working conditions; guides and explains operations to visiting groups;
- Receives supplies delivered and ensures that they are properly stored; reports need for materials to senior operator or supervisor;
- Participates in a variety of special projects such as construction of piping and structural systems related to wastewater treatment processes, reclaimed water distribution and sewer collection;
- Operates a variety of heavy equipment up to and including backhoes, excavators, front end loaders, bull dozers, forklifts, dump trucks, vacuum trucks, skip loaders, trenchers, motor graders, compressors, tapping machines, concrete saws, valve machines, jackhammers, pipe cutters, jet rodder, and tractor trailer combinations;
- Maintains and updates accurate records for wastewater treatment process, reclaimed water production and sewer collection maintenance, and prepares detailed logbook entries;
- Installs, maintains, repairs, modifies, troubleshoots and services plant operations machinery and equipment including but not limited to pumps, valves, motors, meters, tanks, reservoirs, feeders, and online analyzers;
- Inspects plant equipment and facilities to locate and report needed repairs and maintenance;
- Generates and reviews Standard Operating Procedures for troubleshooting, maintenance of equipment, sewer collection, sludge disposal, reclaimed water production and wastewater treatment process;
- Performs preventative maintenance; oils, greases, cleans, and otherwise service plant equipment; uses hand and power tools to remove, install, and make minor repairs, modifications or additions to plant facilities;
- Performs general facility upkeep such as sweeping, mopping, cleaning, sanding, sandblasting and painting; performs grounds keeping, weed eating, mowing and housekeeping as required;
- Ensures tools and equipment are properly maintained, and meets any scheduled maintenance requirements;
- Responds to customer inquiries and complaints regarding sewer problems; sewer overflows and stoppages;
- Monitors, operates, maintains, troubleshoots, and adjusts reclaimed water and wastewater treatment process equipment including but not limited to pumps, motors, pressure reducing valves, pump control valves, monitor wells, chemical feed systems, pivot irrigation systems, reservoir facilities and related plumbing components;
- Assists with daily rounds of booster stations and ground storage reservoirs; measures and records flow, chemical feed dosages; records gallons pumped and number of hours each system ran the previous day;
- Secures and transports hazardous chemicals to various facility locations and assists with the transport function by off-loading and loading hazardous chemicals for transport;
- Calibrates wastewater process equipment;
- Assists with the collection of wastewater samples for laboratory analysis; performs routine wastewater quality analysis;
- Assists with the collection of all wastewater compliance samples as required by the NMED;
- May provide on-the-job guidance to less experienced employees as assigned;
- Drives a City vehicle and operates equipment in the performance of duties;
- Assists other divisions during emergencies or as may be required to maintain quality service to customers;
- Cleans sewer collection system; operates hydro vacuum truck; flushes collection system; opens clogs in lines; cleans manhole, wets wells and lift stations;
- Operates closed circuit televising inspection system; televises underground sewer lines, storm drains, and sewer laterals; identifies any signs of blockage/debris that may interrupt flow of the sanitary sewer or storm drains; identifies major problems with pipes including cracks, damage, holes, and collapsed pipe; tests sewer systems for faulty connections or leaks as well as for illegal connections;
- Transports wastewater biosolids to appropriate disposal sites;
- Performs concrete work; raise and form, pour and finish concrete, repair infiltration, sealing and grouting of manholes and aprons;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority; and
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City personnel and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Must obtain and maintain required licenses and certifications*;
- Required to perform on-call rotation duties outside of normal work hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
* All water and wastewater certifications must be renewed prior to their expiration date pursuant to the requirements set by the NMED Utility Operator Certification Program.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Principles of customer relations;
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment; and
- Basic mathematical principles.
Skill and Ability to:
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; follow instructions;
- Perform work-related tasks in a positive, professional manner alongside employees of varied backgrounds and personalities;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Maintain pertinent records and compile data into written reports;
- Operate and monitor wastewater treatment process equipment;
- Perform heavy manual labor;
- Perform routine to intermediate maintenance, repairs and installations to plant equipment such as pumps, valves, and electronic monitoring devices;
- Maintain professionalism under pressure;
- Respond quickly and positively to customer complaints; and
- Operate office equipment including computers and supporting software applications.
Skill and Ability to Learn:
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices and procedures; and
- City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any other applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Work is typically performed in the outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to or over one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous traffic conditions as well as hazardous chemicals, contaminants, and pathogens; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11.