Animal Shelter Assistant - Part Time
Employment Status: Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: None
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Department: Animal Shelter
Direct Supervisor: Animal Shelter Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (0); Indirect (0)
Primary Work Location: Primarily indoors in the animal shelter.
Job Summary: This is a part-time position that reports to the Animal Shelter Manager. The Animal Shelter Assistant assists the public adopting animals in animal shelter and compiles records of impounded animals by performing the following duties.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Following daily, weekly, and monthly task lists; cleans, disinfects and maintains facility to a high standard of cleanliness by sweeping, mopping, disposal of garbage, dusting, kennel/cages cleaning including cat boxes, windows, doors, walls, sinks, tubs, and all other areas needing cleaning inside the facility.
- Provide a high standard of daily care for animals including: feeding, watering, walking, and reporting of health and/or behavioral problems.
- Assists in coordinating volunteer activities within the Animal Control Center.
- Assists prospective owners in selection of animals for adoption and in preparation of adoption forms.
- Advises new owners of pet examination and neuterization services.
- Maintains list of prospective pet owners and contacts them when desired type of pet is available.
- Prepares license forms and collects fees; balances cash drawer.
- Reviews shelter records of licensed pet owners to identify owners of lost pets.
- Reviews other shelter records to help owners find lost pets.
- Compiles daily records required by animal shelter describing stray animals found by shelter workers and animals turned in by public.
- Responsible for cleaning shelter, office, dog runs; grounds mopping, squeegee, use of power sprayer.
- Responsible for exercising, walking, and grooming of adoptable animals.
- Assist with vaccinations, medications, and basic first aid to animals.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness of towels, blankets, and other items needing laundry care through washing and drying.
- Responsible for the outside appearance of the facility through cutting of grass, removing weeds, picking up trash, etc.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Computer database and internet software.
- Animal behaviors and safety precautions used when handling animals.
- Thorough understanding of the County’s functions, policies, and procedures.
- Public relations and customer service.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Basic math skills.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer terminal, related software programs, printer, calculator, fax, and copier.
- Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Write simple correspondence.
- Effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Apply common sense and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
The following physical abilities are required:
- May work in varied outdoor weather conditions.
- There is a risk of physical injury and exposure to hazardous chemicals and animals.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms.
- The employee may be required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
The employee is expected to follow all safety procedures as required. Must wear protective footwear.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!