Transfer Station Attendant
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: 6 months experience working with the public.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Department: Solid Waste
Direct Supervisor: Solid Waste Superintendent
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (0); Indirect (0)
Primary Work Location: This employee works indoors and outdoors.
Job Summary: Monitor delivery of solid and/or liquid waste at assigned transfer station in order to assure proper disposal.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Maintains written records of vehicles disposing of waste at an assigned transfer station.
- Checks used Motor Oil Tank for volume to determine if full.
- Certifies contents and volume of each transporter’s load on manifest document.
- Directs driver to proper area for disposal.
- Explains rules and fees (if applicable) for dumping trash, tire sales, or disposal.
- Estimates amount of trash in cubic yards.
- Authorizes acceptance of waste at a transfer station and identified hazardous materials.
- Sort recycled material from unusable products.
- Operates backhoe, loader, skid steer, forklift, balers, tire cutters, and chipper.
- Perform litter control duties.
- Checks/monitors material to be dumped in order to minimize illegal dumping of hazardous material and other household waste using inappropriate containers.
- Checks loads for even distribution in those trucks hauling trash from transfer station.
- Separates hazardous material such as oil, paint, batteries from trash, operates a trash compactor, cleans station and surrounding area.
- Operates transfer station in accordance with safety regulations.
- Maintains radio contact with supervisor.
- Assist in tire baling.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Responsible for knowing and abiding by all department and county policies and procedures.
- Enforces the “No Scavenging” regulation enacted by N.M E.D.
- Work on a variety of special projects as assigned.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Which materials are acceptable based on federal, state, and county standards.
- Occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
- Thorough understanding of the County’s functions, policies, and procedures.
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Responding with tact, composure, and courtesy when dealing with others.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer terminal, related software programs, printer, calculator, fax, and copier.
- Identify materials, which are not permitted at the transfer station.
- Consistently follow safety procedures.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The following physical abilities are required:
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- May encounter toxic materials.
- Will be bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, and standing for prolonged periods of time.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Work in confined spaces and at heights.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Performs essential duties indoors 50% of the time under normal conditions and 50% outdoors under fluctuating temperatures. Primary work surface indoors is concrete; outdoors is subject to wet, dry or greasy natural ground, concrete, asphalt. Noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
The employee is expected to follow all safety procedures as required.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. The contents of this position description may be changed without notice, and employment may be terminated by either party, at will. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
How to Apply:
Application - Complete the application and return to:
Otero County Administration Office
1101 New York Ave
Alamogordo, NM 88310.