Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Experience Required: Two (2) to three (3) years of related commercial maintenance work.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School Diploma or equivalent
Direct Supervisor: Facilities Superintendent
Supervisory Responsibility: Direct (0); Indirect (0)
Primary Work Location: Various buildings and grounds throughout the County.
Certification: Preferred (not required)
Job Summary: To perform a variety of general maintenance and cleaning activities of county buildings and facilities. To set up rooms and other facilities for meetings and special events and to provide supplies and equipment for county functions.
Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all the following essential duties:
- Construct and repair wooden structures such as furniture, cabinets, etc.
- Form and pour concrete.
- Assist in remodeling of structures.
- Repairs roofs, floors, stairs, doors; replaces walls, etc.
- Install sheetrock, texture, and related duties.
- Prime and paint over existing walls or new remodels.
- Replace or install tile.
- Repair estimates of material, time, and labor.
- Order supplies for projects.
- May instruct, lead, or supervise less skilled tradespersons.
- May perform quality control and inspection duties related to electrical trade and plumbing trade.
- Install new plumbing to code and repair old plumbing.
- Perform the full range of custodial maintenance activities; empty trash receptacles; sweep and scrub floors; strip, seal, wax, and buff tile floors.
- Dust and clean office furniture, clean interior and exterior windows and glass doors.
- Disinfect and clean bathroom areas; replenish supplies and materials.
- Vacuum traffic areas; spot and shampoo carpets; set out warning signs for wet or slippery areas.
- Perform grounds maintenance activities including mowing, trimming, irrigating, fertilizing, pruning, and spraying.
- Replace burned out and defective lamps and light bulbs; replace burned out ballast’s and broken light switches.
- Perform a variety of routine building maintenance duties including routine plumbing and electrical, and HVAC activities; maintain electrical and plumbing fixtures.
- Repair bathroom plumbing, replace and repair leaking faucets and damaged lavatory sinks; unclog toilets, shower and sink drains. Perform plumbing remodels.
- Perform security checks of buildings and facilities.
- Use equipment and tools related to trade maintenance and remodeling.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment for special events and projects.
- Perform historical restoration and preservation work as required.
- Repair and maintain fire alarms and fire extinguishers.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Construction standard practices of the trade, technical manuals, specification, codes, and agency policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of the tools, materials, methods, and practice of construction.
- Hazards and safety precautions of construction.
- Janitorial procedures and ground maintenance activities.
- Safety procedures and practices.
- Use, care, and storage of hazardous materials.
- Thorough understanding of the County’s functions, policies, and procedures.
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Public relations and customer service.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- To perform trade duties to be acceptable to local codes and State of New Mexico construction industry IBEC codes.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain mental capacity to make sound decisions specific to areas of responsibility.
The following physical abilities are required:
- Essential functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for heavy or moderate lifting; bending, stooping, and kneeling; sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time; and operating motorized equipment and vehicles.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or listen.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
The employee is expected to follow all safety procedures as required.This employee will encounter noise, dust, grease, fumes, gases, high voltage, and inclement weather conditions.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. The contents of this position description may be changed without notice, and employment may be terminated by either party, at will. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.