- Mows, propagates, cultivates, and/or trims grass, trees, flowers, shrubs, ornamental landscaping, and brush, including the use of various light equipment and hand tools;
- Maintains sprinkler systems, including installing, repairing, and replacing as needed;
- Inspects equipment and facilities on a regular basis to ensure proper maintenance;
- Performs minor repairs on facilities and equipment, including mowers, chainsaws, and weed eaters;
- Operates tractor, mower, sprinklers, and other mechanical equipment as needed;
- Administers chemical applications as required;
- Cleans and maintains park grounds, facilities, and equipment, including benches, grills, restrooms, and children's play equipment;
- Keeps shop area clean and orderly;
- May direct, assign, and review work as well as provide training for other park employees;
- Attends shop meetings and training classes as required;
- Contributes to a high quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Provides excellent customer service and ensures high operational and service standards for the citizens of Alamogordo; and
- Performs duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Basic landscaping and turf management;
- Safe use and maintenance of hand tools and light equipment; and
- Irrigation systems.
- Understand and follow both oral and written instructions;
- Install and maintain park sprinkler systems and related hardware;
- Safely operate standard maintenance equipment, including riding and push mowers, trimmers, saws, sprayers, vacuums, blowers, and other maintenance equipment;
- Perform turf maintenance;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and citizens in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the department and all City organizations at all times; and
- Maintain and enhance the Parks Department's commitment to customer service excellence.
Will work in varied outside weather conditions including: heat, cold, rain, snow, etc. Risk of physical injury and exposure to hazardous chemicals. Must be capable of lifting, standing, crouching, climbing and walking. Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments. Position required to wear protective footwear, clearly marked by manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C/75 per ASTM F2413-05 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.