- Performs duties safely by following industry standards and properly using personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Performs various tasks related to paving, concrete, street signs, street sweeping, and alley maintenance, as assigned. Tasks may include, but are not limited to, clearing debris from work areas, shoveling, grading, sweeping, patching, painting, and weed eating;
- Uses and operates various construction and maintenance equipment and tools such as pickup and water trucks, light equipment, cutting and breaking equipment, jack hammer, tamper, weed eater, pothole patcher, sand blaster, and a full range of hand and power tools;
- With use of proper tools, assists in excavation and the removal and disposal of asphalt, road base, sidewalks, curbs, driveways, alley aprons, and collars to complete assigned projects;
- Correctly and safely assists in the loading, unloading, securing, and transporting various types of equipment and supplies to and from work sites;
- Assists in traffic control on work sites, as assigned;
- Performs general equipment maintenance by routinely checking oil, water, fuel, tires, hydraulic system, etc. on vehicles and equipment and make appropriate adjustments to ensure vehicles are in proper and safe operating condition;
- Ensures work areas are organized and clean;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Occasional non-traditional work hours may be necessary during evenings, weekends, and on holidays for emergency calls;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Basic techniques of construction and/or road maintenance.
Skill and Ability to:
- Understand and follow written and verbal instructions;
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other City personnel and the public;
- Perform effectively in stressful situations;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Maintain required certifications and licenses, if any; and
- Service and make minor repairs on equipment applying safety standards to prevent hazards.
Skill and Ability to Learn:
- Safe operation of various equipment used in the daily activities of the Street Maintenance Division;
- Proper traffic control compliance using the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (M.U.T.C.D.) standards that ensures employee safety with equal considerations for public safety and convenience;
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- D.O.T. Regulations for Right of Ways;
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code; and
- City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any other applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Work is typically performed both indoors and outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as digging and driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- Work performed near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- Work in hazardous conditions involving traffic;
- Will work near gas lines, meters, and other utilities including electric;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants, and pathogens; and
- Position required to wear protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11.
The City of Alamogordo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.