This position is eligible for advancement under the City's Automatic Promotion Policy.
Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Wastewater Treatment Plant Division of the Public Works Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Monitors, operates, and adjusts controls and equipment at a wastewater treatment plant, pumping plants, monitoring wells, pivot irrigation systems and reservoir facilities;
- Monitors, interprets, and adjusts computerized Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) controls;
- Initiates timely reports or notices if unusual or emergency situations occur;
- Conducts operational inspections of plant equipment and facilities to locate and report needed repairs and maintenance;
- Regulates pressure and flow rates on the reclaimed water system in accordance with demand;
- Reads, records, interprets, and acts on information taken from computers, gauges, dials, and other instruments;
- Controls the application of hazardous materials and chemicals associated with wastewater treatment processes;
- Secures and transports hazardous chemicals to various facility locations and assists with the transport function by off-loading and loading hazardous chemicals for transport;
- Assists in the collection of various wastewater samples for laboratory analysis and performs simple wastewater quality analysis tests;
- Inspects plant equipment and facilities to locate and report needed repairs and maintenance;
- Receives supplies delivered and ensures that they are properly stored; reports need for materials to Supervisor or designee;
- Performs general plant upkeep such as sweeping, mopping, cleaning, sanding, and painting; performs general grounds keeping and housekeeping as required;
- Performs preventative maintenance: oils, greases, cleans, and other service plant equipment; uses hand and power tools to remove, install, and make minor repairs, modifications, or additions to plant facilities;
- Participates in plant process control, monitors equipment, and contributes to and maintains daily logs;
- Reports and/or corrects unsafe working conditions;
- May participate in guiding tours and explaining operations to visiting groups;
- Responds to service complaints; informs the customer of necessary actions;
- Opens manholes, sets up and utilizes various safety devices;
- Cleans and repairs wastewater lines using high pressure Vactor truck;
- Assists with the operation of closed-circuit television equipment;
- Drives a City vehicle in the performance of duties;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Must obtain and maintain required licenses and certifications;
- Required to perform on-call rotation duties outside of normal work hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment;
- Operational principles of wastewater treatment processes;
- Computer applications relevant to wastewater operations control; and
- Basic methods, materials and equipment used in the operation and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities.
Skill and Ability to:
- Follow instructions; understand and carry out oral and written directions;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other city employees, and the public;
- Safely operate, repair, and maintain wastewater works facilities;
- Follow general operating procedures;
- Read and interpret gauges and recording devices;
- Perform simple wastewater quality laboratory tests;
- Keep accurate records of wastewater system operations; and
- Demonstrate aptitude in practical mathematics, mechanics, and use of a variety of hand tools.
- Work is typically performed in the outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to or over one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants, and pathogens; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.
The City of Alamogordo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.