APPLICATIONS ARE ALSO BEING ACCEPTED FOR CERTIFIED DISPATCHERS/HIRING PAY RATE $17.7106.
Trainee Dispatchers are to be Certified within one year of hire. Trainee pay rate then increases to Certified pay of $17.7106.
To maintain communications and coordinate emergency and non-emergency response between the Police Department and Police, Fire, EMS, and other personnel, the public, and other law enforcement and fire agencies.
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- U.S. Citizenship and have reached the age of majority;
- Must not have any felony convictions, domestic violence or DWI convictions, or any other convictions for crimes indicating lack of character or moral turpitude;
- Ability to obtain a valid New Mexico Dispatcher certification from the NMLEA within one (1) year from hire;
- Valid New Mexico driver’s license or ability to obtain within sixty (60) days of employment;
- At least one (1) year high volume public contact experience, such as interactive complaint or problem resolution, and /or crisis resolution working directly with the public;
- Interactive service oriented public contact work involving recording orders, managing multiple contacts/orders simultaneously;
- One (1) year clerical experience; and
- Ability to pass a typing test of 35 wpm.
- Previous dispatch experience.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Receives 911 (emergency) and non-emergency telephone calls and dispatches appropriate parties (police, fire, and EMS units);
- Monitors unit status and progress on calls;
- Retrieves information from the NCIC computer system;
- Sends and receives teletypes;
- Monitors alarm boards;
- Maintains computer logs through database/computer aided dispatch system;
- Assists walk-in parties and directs to appropriate personnel;
- Prioritizes calls;
- Utilizes equipment consisting of multi-frequency police radio and various computer systems;
- Relays updated information to officers;
- Operates paging system;
- Maintains required files and paperwork;
- Completes bail bonds, release orders, emergency log sheets, vehicle mileage logs, and gasoline pump readings;
- Contribute to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Commits self to providing excellent customer service to ensure high operational service standards are met and maintained for the Citizens of Alamogordo; and
- Perform duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances and departmental Policies and Procedures.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITITES
- Will work a rotating shift;
- Maintain the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs other duties or responsibilities as assigned or requested.
- Radio transmission procedures and Federal Communications Commission rules, and regulations governing operation of radio and teletype transmitting and receiving;
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, basic medical pre-arrival procedures, first aid; and
- The use and care of specialized equipment.
- Become fluent with departmental policies and procedures;
- Work and maintain composure under stressful situations;
- Accurately process materials and enter data into computer;
- Understand and follow instructions;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communications;
- Operate office equipment, including typewriter and computer using standard word processing, data inquiry, and other software used by APD;
- Type accurately at a speed of 35 words per minute; and
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, city employees, and the general public.
- Sit for extended periods of time; bend, twist, turn and reach; lift and carry, push or pull up to 30 pounds;
- Ability to see well enough to read computer monitors and documents in a dimly lit room;
- Ability to hear well enough to receive information over the telephone and radio amid background noise;
- Ability to speak well enough to be understood when transmitting information over the telephone and radio;
- Hand and finger dexterity sufficient to operate computer keyboards; ability to work irregular hours, holidays, shift work, nights, and scheduled and emergency over-time hours; and
- Attentiveness and concentration necessary to perform multiple tasks concurrently, to respond to stressful situations, urgent matters, and emergency situations.