Essential Job Functions
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential duties:
- Must be thoroughly familiar will aspects of firearms and range safety rules.
- During heavy use periods, must be able to safely control the firing line while live fire sessions are in effect.
- Immediately identify unsafe acts and take corrective action.
- Willing and capable of assisting civilians in the proper use of firearms.
- Clear minor malfunctions in all types of firearms. If not NRA certified, shall be willing to obtain NRA or similar certification.
- Effectively and safely manage operations on a daily basis.
- Perform daily maintenance and cleanup as required.
- Promote use of the Otero County Firearms Education Center.
- Promote range usage to the general public, clubs, local business, and law enforcement.
- Speak to groups or organizations on range programs, usage, and general firearms safety.
- Work effectively with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies in scheduling range time for qualification programs.
- Encourage and promote new programs that will increase range usage.
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s) for Position
An employee in this class must have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities upon application:
- Gun and range safety.
- All aspects of firearms and how to clear minor malfunctions.
- Thorough understanding of the County’s functions, policies, and procedures.
- Strong written and oral communications and relational skills.
- Public relations and customer service.
- Follow and relay complex oral and written instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Operate a variety of office equipment, including computer terminal, related software programs, printer, calculator, fax, and copier.
- Promote range usage.
- Identify unsafe acts and take corrective actions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with other employees, enforcement agencies, judicial officials, and the general public.
The following physical abilities are required:
- The employee must maintain physical condition necessary for heavy lifting and climbing, working in confined spaces or at heights, and prolonged standing or walking.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, and bend.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Exposure to firearms and loud noise. Exposure to dust, toxic materials, work in inclement weather conditions.
The employee is expected to follow all safety procedures as required.
**This position description is a general guideline for work behavior and is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all job duties. Therefore, it is also not, nor can it be implied to be, a contract of employment. The contents of this position description may be changed without notice, and employment may be terminated by either party, at will. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.