Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Senior Center Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Sufficient education to perform essential duties and understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- One (1) year of related kitchen and custodial work experience;
- Proof of a valid New Mexico Food Handler Card must be provided on or before hire date;
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered);
- Or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Experience in the food service industry preparing large-quantity servings.
- Responsible for following all food safety and sanitation procedures governed by City, State and Federal guidelines;
- Deep cleans kitchen and other related areas using major cleaning equipment to include an electric buffing machine and industrial strength cleaning chemicals, on a maintenance schedule determined by departmental compliance polices;
- Responsible for disposing of trash and cleaning and sanitizing trash bins on a daily basis;
- Cleans and scrubs floor mats and places at designated areas;
- Cleans exhaust hoods above stove, fryer, and ovens; cleans filters;
- Responsible for cleaning floors and floor drains by regular use of a floor machine, mop, and proper cleaning solutions;
- Maintains the sanitation of all stainless steel walls, tables, doors and equipment; cleans and shines with proper cleaning chemicals;
- Responsible for cleaning ovens, racks, and ranges, including removal of parts as necessary to ensure proper cleaning is maintained; cleans and scrubs racks and ovens;
- Responsible for obeying all safety regulations for use of cleaning chemicals to include use of personal protective equipment;
- Washes dishes and silverware using a commercial dishwasher; monitors chemical usage; logs PPM sanitation records daily;
- Washes pots and pans using the three compartment method: washing, rinsing, and sanitizing; logs PPM sanitation records daily;
- Assists the cook in preparing and serving nutritious meals according to established menus and time schedules and in compliance with health regulations;
- Assists the cook in preparing food for the next day, including breads, cookies, cakes, and pies;
- Responsible for documenting daily food/supplies usage on the inventory draw sheets according to inventory policy and procedure;
- May participate with the Meals on Wheels (MOW) program by helping to prepare and/or pack menu items for delivery, and by cleaning and/or sanitizing containers, baskets, and other washable items;
- Drives a City vehicle to deliver meals to recipients under the MOW program and ensures that the beginning and ending temperatures are taken and recorded; accurately completes any other documentation required by the MOW program;
- Helps to serve and maintain adequate food inventories on the steam tables to include hot, cold, and salad menu items;
- Helps to document required information for record keeping such as temperatures of foods, refrigerators / freezers;
- Assists with the laundry by putting aprons and towels to wash and dry; assists with folding and putting away laundry;
- Performs monthly inventory count in assigned storage area;
- Accepts food and supply deliveries and store in an organized fashion, to include the rotation of food as required, and at appropriate locations;
- Responsible for proper storage of inventories/items delivered;
- Maintains a clean personal appearance and washes hands frequently during food preparation and cleanup;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- May be called upon to work at special events that occur outside of regular work hours, such as the Senior Volunteer Program banquet or other various banquets, seasonal dinners such as the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, New Year’s party, and other City division functions;
- The Alamo Senior Center is a backup emergency shelter for the community and this position may be required to train on emergency response and/or perform certain emergency services at the direction of their supervisor;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties;
- Maintains required license(s); and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Majority of work will be performed in a kitchen atmosphere around industrial-sized kitchen appliances; duties will be performed outdoors on occasion with exposure to heat, wind, rain, or other adverse weather conditions;
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk; bend, turn, twist, kneel, squat, and reach; lift and carry, push, pull, or maneuver heavy objects, or food items weighing as much as 50 pounds; team-lifting and/or the use of carts or other equipment shall be used when handling or lifting heavier items;
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and work in hot, cold, and noisy conditions;
- Non-slip, closed-toe shoes and the wearing of hairnets, gloves, etc. are required to ensure compliance with kitchen and food safety standards; other PPE may be required appropriate to assigned tasks; and
- Some climbing will be required using either a ladder, stepladder, or stepstool.