Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Senior Center Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Responsible for following all food safety and sanitation procedures governed by City, State and Federal guidelines;
- Prepares and serves nutritious meals, including home-bound meals, according to established menus and time schedules and in compliance with health regulations, including preparation of main course, vegetable and/or fruit dishes, bake bread, salads, and desserts, according to standard recipes and instruction;
- Responsible for the preparation of nutritious soups and salads for the second choice of a meal for the day;
- Responsible for setting up the serving line, serving of the meal, ensuring proper portion control;
- Responsible for the assembly and preparation of items needed for the next day’s meals, including ensuring items are taken out of the freezer for thawing, using proper thawing instructions;
- Responsible for documenting and maintaining proper temperature records of refrigerators, freezers, and steam table;
- Partners with the Food Services Administrator and the Assistant Food Services Administrator to ensure that the beginning hot temperature of meals packed for delivery with the Meals on Wheels program is taken and documented;
- Responsible for documenting daily food/supplies usage on the inventory draw sheets according to inventory policy and procedure;
- Conducts regular inspections of equipment, workstations, and kitchen area to ensure sanitary conditions are met according to all food safety and sanitation regulations;
- Takes and records food, freezer, and refrigerator temperatures as required daily;
- Responsible for cleaning and maintaining the kitchen, utensils, and equipment, according to health regulations;
- Assists with washing dishes using the commercial dishwasher or the four-compartment sink, washing pots, pans, utensils, trays, and silverware;
- Responsible for assisting in counting the inventory, including items in the walk-in refrigerator and walk-in freezers, as scheduled, on the last day of the week, and/or Friday;
- Verifies invoices against food and supplies received; coordinates receipt and storage of goods delivered;
- Responsible for proper storage of inventories/items delivered;
- May provide guidance to volunteers and community service workers in in the absence of the Assistant Food Services Administrator;
- Maintains a clean personal appearance and washes hands frequently during food preparation and cleanup;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Responsible for preparing and serving foods at special events that may occur outside of regular work hours, such as the Senior Volunteer Program banquet or other various banquets, seasonal dinners such as the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, New Year’s party, and other City division functions;
- The Alamo Senior Center is a backup emergency shelter for the community and this position may be required to train on emergency response and/or perform certain emergency services at the direction of their supervisor;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties;
- Maintains required license(s); and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Health rules and regulations related to commercial kitchen operations and food preparation;
- Sanitation and safety procedures related to commercial kitchen operations and food preparation;
- Proper methods of storing food items and supplies including inventory control;
- Food preparation methods including proper handling, measuring, washing, cutting, and assembling food and ingredients;
- Food preparation for large groups of people;
- Recipe conversions and use of the food buying guide;
- City of Alamogordo Employee Manual and Safety & Health Manual;
- High-quality customer service methods; and
- Basic first aid.
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; understand and follow instructions;
- Operate commercial kitchen equipment, including but not limited to, mixer, meat slicer, food chopper, stove, oven, deep fryer, and dishwasher;
- Safely use and store cleaning products and related chemicals;
- Safely operate a motor vehicle;
- Perform duties in a professional manner and demonstrate understanding, patience, and open-mindedness while assisting senior citizens who are diverse in culture, beliefs, lifestyle, demographics, socioeconomic background, etc.;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors, senior citizens, and the public;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and customers in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the Community Services Department and all City organizations at all times; and
- Maintain and enhance the Senior Center’s commitment to customer service excellence.
- Majority of work will be performed in a kitchen atmosphere around industrial-sized kitchen appliances; duties will be performed outdoors on occasion with exposure to heat, wind, rain, or other adverse weather conditions;
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk; bend, turn, twist, kneel, squat, and reach; lift and carry, push, pull, or maneuver heavy objects, or food items weighing as much as 50 pounds; team-lifting and/or the use of carts or other equipment shall be used when handling or lifting heavier items;
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and work in hot, cold, and noisy conditions;
- Must be able to work in extreme conditions such as counting inventory in the freezer for 30 minutes at a time with proper protective equipment;
- Non-slip, closed-toe shoes and the wearing of hairnets, gloves, etc. are required to ensure compliance with kitchen and food safety standards; other PPE may be required appropriate to assigned tasks; and
Some climbing will be required using either a ladder, stepladder, or stepstool.