Under general supervision, perform daily work assignments for the Golf Course Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the City of Alamogordo Ordinances, Personnel Policies, Department Policies and Procedures, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent;
- One (1) year of irrigation and/or sprinkler installation, maintenance, and repair experience;
- One (1) year of grounds and/or turf maintenance, or similar experience;
- Valid New Mexico Pesticide License within six (6) months of hire date;
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered);
- Or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Maintains the Golf Course irrigation system and pump station in working order;
- Inspects irrigation equipment and facilities on a regular basis to ensure proper maintenance;
- Monitors soil moisture levels and adjusts system accordingly;
- Maintains aerators in Golf Course ponds;
- Performs repairs on irrigation equipment and pump station;
- Operates trucks, mowers, and other mechanical equipment as needed;
- Ensures all grounds, plants, trees, and grass are kept free of pests using appropriate chemicals;
- Maintains inventory of repair parts; orders parts or notifies supervisor of parts and/or materials needed;
- Contributes to a high quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards;
- Performs duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Will be required to work outside of normal business hours including weekends and holidays; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Installation, maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting of all types of irrigation systems, including computerized systems;
- Pump station maintenance;
- Basic landscaping and turf management;
- Safe use and maintenance of hand tools and light equipment;
- Safe handling and application of chemicals; and
- The game of golf.
- Understand and follow both oral and written instructions;
- Install, maintain, repair, and troubleshoot Golf Course irrigation systems and related hardware;
- Safely operate standard maintenance equipment;
- Perform turf maintenance;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Maintain all required licenses and certifications;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and citizens in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the department and all City organizations at all times; and
- Maintain and enhance the Golf Course’s commitment to customer service excellence.
- Work will be performed in varied outside weather conditions including heat, cold, rain, and snow, with exposure to odors, dust, and pollen;
- Risk of physical injury and exposure to hazardous chemicals;
- Works with effluent water;
- Must be capable of heavy lifting, sustained standing, walking, bending, kneeling, twisting and squatting;
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts;
- Must be able to hear and distinguish various sounds, such as sounds of operating equipment in both quiet and noisy environments; the ability to see well enough to read documents and instructions; and hand and finger dexterity sufficient to use small tools;
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear, clearly marked by manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C/75 per ASTM F2413-11 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.