Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Landfill Division of the Public Works Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- High school diploma or GED;
- One (1) year experience performing maintenance and grounds keeping functions;
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered);
- Or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Previous experience working at a Landfill or Transfer Station.
- Collects loose paper and materials at landfill site;
- Assists landfill operators in the screening of incoming waste for proper disposal;
- Assists with servicing equipment and vehicles;
- Cleans and maintains landfill equipment;
- Sprays water on roads and covered sites to accomplish dust control;
- Responsible for landscaping, mowing, and grounds maintenance;
- Performs general custodial duties for landfill facilities;
- Paints or repaints equipment, buildings, and signs;
- Maintains and repairs perimeter fencing;
- Assists with landfill surveying work;
- Drives City vehicles;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Must maintain required license(s);
- Serves as back-up to Landfill Technician through the operation of the scale house to weigh trucks, collect fees, and issue receipts;
- Occasional non-traditional work hours may be necessary during evenings, weekends and on holidays;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Solid waste maintenance techniques; and
- Basic maintenance and grounds keeping functions and safe use of tools required to perform duties.
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; understand and follow instructions;
- Safely operate landfill vehicles and equipment;
- Tolerate outside working conditions including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the public; and
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Work is typically performed in the outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds independently, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds with or without assistance, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds with assistance;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear, marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11.