Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Parks Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Sufficient education to perform essential duties and understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Valid New Mexico Driver's License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered);
- Or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Experience operating lawn care equipment and basic hand tools.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Mows, propagates, cultivates, and/or trims grass, trees, flowers, shrubs, and brush, using various light equipment and hand tools;
- Inspects equipment and facilities on a regular basis to ensure proper maintenance;
- Performs minor repairs on facilities and equipment;
- Operates trucks, mowers, and other mechanical equipment as needed;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Basic landscaping and turf management; and
- Safe use and maintenance of hand tools and other equipment used to perform duties.
- Understand and follow instructions;
- Operate standard maintenance equipment safely;
- Perform turf maintenance;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team-oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and citizens in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the department and all City organizations at all times; and
- Maintain and enhance the Parks Department's commitment to customer service excellence.
- Will work in varied outside weather conditions including heat, cold, rain, snow, etc.
- Risk of physical injury and exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Must be capable of lifting, standing, crouching, climbing and walking.
- Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments.
- Position required to wear protective footwear, clearly marked by manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C/75 per ASTM F2413-11.