- Performs duties safely by following industry standards and properly using personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Performs various tasks related to paving, concrete, street signs, street sweeping, and alley maintenance, as assigned, including but not limited to clearing debris from work areas, shoveling, grading, sweeping, patching, painting, and weed eating;
- Safely uses and operates various construction and maintenance equipment and tools such as service trucks and water trucks, light equipment, cutting and breaking equipment, jack hammer, tamper, weed eater, pothole patcher, sand blaster, and a full range of hand and power tools;
- With use of proper tools, assists in excavation and the removal and disposal of asphalt, road base, sidewalks, curbs, driveways, alley aprons, and collars to complete assigned projects;
- Correctly and safely assists in the loading, unloading, securing, and transporting various types of equipment and supplies to and from work sites;
- Assists in traffic control on work sites, as assigned;
- Performs general equipment maintenance by routinely checking oil, water, fuel, tires, and hydraulic system on vehicles and equipment and make appropriate adjustments to ensure vehicles are in proper and safe operating condition;
- Ensures work areas and vehicles are organized and clean;
- Contributes to a safe and high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Assists with maintenance and repairs of roads, including hand grading, filling of holes, and cleaning of dips and ditches;
- Assists in road base preparation and sub-grading tasks related to paving;
- Obtains and distributes asphalt, seal coat, and oil to prepared road bases;
- Assists in patch sealing, including pothole repair, reconstruction of road shoulders, and crack sealing;
- Assists in patching potholes by removing loose material, filling with base material and premix, and tamping asphalt;
- Assist with asphalt paving/patching, including transporting, dumping, spreading, raking, and rolling;
- Digs out driveways, sidewalks, curbs, and asphalt; and
- Performs simple tasks associated with bridge construction and repair.
- Assists with construction, repair, and maintenance of driveways, sidewalks, and curbs;
- Assists with concrete work, including setting forms, mixing, pouring, and finishing;
- Digs out driveways, sidewalks, and curbs; and
- Performs tasks associated with bridge construction and repair.
- Installs, repairs and replaces street signs in accordance with M.U.T.C.D. standards;
- Paints street and parking lot lines;
- Installs street marking tapes and reflectors; and
- Maintains cleanliness of streets and gutters using street sweeping equipment.
- Performs maintenance of City alleyways including grading, filling of holes, and cleaning of dips and ditches.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Must obtain and maintain required license(s) and/or certification(s);
- Upon completion of initial probationary period, required to perform on-call rotation duties outside of normal work hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays;
- Occasional non-traditional work hours may be necessary during evenings, weekends, and on holidays for emergency calls;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Basic techniques of construction and/or road maintenance.
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication; understand and follow instructions;
- Perform tasks and other daily activities in a positive and professional manner alongside employees of varied backgrounds and personalities;
- Attend work, as scheduled and on a regular basis, to effectively perform the position’s essential duties and responsibilities;
- Exercise common sense and good judgment in the performance of essential duties;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work;
- Demonstrate professionalism and tact with the public;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Perform heavy manual labor;
- Service and make minor repairs on equipment applying safety standards to prevent hazards;
- Maintain professionalism under pressure; and
- Provide excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the citizens of Alamogordo.
Ability to Learn:
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of City roadways and bridges;
- Methods, materials, and techniques used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of concrete related projects;
- Safety practices used when working around electrical, gas, water, and sewer systems;
- Proper traffic control compliance using the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (M.U.T.C.D.) standards that ensures employee safety with equal considerations for public safety and convenience;
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- D.O.T. Regulations for Rights of Way;
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code; and
- City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City-wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any other applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
- Work is typically performed in the outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, driving;
- Lift and/or move items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds; the lifting of any object greater than fifty (50) pounds by a single individual is prohibited. Lifting objects, materials, or equipment weighing more than fifty (50) pounds require the buddy system or the use of devices designed to assist with lifting or moving. Proper lifting techniques shall be used when lifting items of any weight;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- May be exposed to hazardous traffic conditions as well as hazardous chemicals, contaminants, and toxins;
- Will work near gas lines, meters, and other utilities including electric;
- Work will be performed near moving mechanical parts; and possibly in high or precarious places;
- Terrain may be uneven or undeveloped; and
- Required to wear hard hat and safety vest while working outside the service truck and any other personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for job assignments including protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-11.