- Sufficient education to perform essential duties and understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Experience with weed control, mowing, weed eating, and operation of related equipment;
- Experience working in outdoor conditions; and
- Valid New Mexico Driver’s License and a driving record acceptable to City of Alamogordo; or
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Valid New Mexico Class A Commercial Driver’s License and a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo;
- Experience in road construction, concrete work and use of related equipment and tools.
- Perform drainage maintenance, including cleaning streets, alleys, and drainage ditches, trimming brush, mowing right-of-ways, removing debris, and spraying pesticides and herbicides;
- Operate mowers, chainsaws, weed-eaters, dump trucks, water trucks, herbicide spray trucks, wood chippers, and hand tools in the repair and maintenance of drainage systems;
- Perform routine maintenance checks on equipment prior to operation, including checking oil, various fluid levels, lubrication, and tire pressures;
- Remove silt, trees, and stumps impeding flood control;
- Mow, clear, burn, and spray overgrown vegetation from ditches, roads, sidewalks, and alleys;
- Build and maintain gabions and ripraps;
- Remove trash and loose debris from drainage systems and hauls to landfill;
- Stabilize banks and levels ground;
- Assist with concrete work, including mixing, pouring, and setting;
- Contribute to a high quality work culture through establishing, maintaining, and fostering positive and harmonious working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and other City personnel, outside agencies, and the public;
- Commit self to providing excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the customer, and resolve customer complaints; and
- Perform duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances, City wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures and, and any applicable laws regulated by an outside authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned; and
- Occasional non-traditional work hours may be necessary during evenings, weekends and on holidays.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Safe operation of the equipment used for this position.
- Follow instructions, establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers;
- Maintain professionalism under pressure;
- Manage simultaneous tasks and projects, and meet multiple deadlines;
- Analyze problems; identify, recommend, and implement solutions;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Respond quickly and positively to customer complaints;
- Maintain necessary departmental required certifications and licenses; and
- Safely operate various light and heavy equipment used in Drainage Maintenance.
Ability to Learn:
- Safe operation of vehicles and equipment used under the provisions of the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code;
- City of Alamogordo Personnel Manual and Safety Policy;
- Job related O.S.H.A requirements;
- Methods, practices, equipment, and materials used in the construction, operation, and maintenance of streets, drainage systems and weed maintenance;
- D.O.T. Regulations for Right Of Ways; and
- New Mexico Motor Vehicle Code.
- Exposure to pollutants or allergens which can adversely affect the skin and/or the respiratory system such as gases, smoke, odors, mists, fumes, dust, chemicals, pollen, oils or solvents.
- Work is typically performed in the outdoors and may be subject to inclement weather conditions;
- Daily physical labor that includes extended periods of sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, swinging heavy hammers;
- May be subject to repetitive motion such as painting, digging, driving;
- Regularly lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud;
- Will work near gas lines, meters, and other utilities including electric;
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, contaminants and pathogens; and
- Position required to wear protective footwear marked by the manufacturer, with a minimum standard of M/F I/75/C75, 6" ankle height work boots, per ASTM F2413-05 or ANSI Z-41 comparable standard.