Under general supervision, performs daily work assignments for the Recreation Center Division of the Community Services Department, in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
- Assists in the planning and preparation of lesson plans and daily activities for youth programs including summer and school-year day camps, after-school childcare program, sports programs, and special events;
- Leads and/or participates in daily youth activities, which may include but is not limited to indoor/outdoor games, swimming, arts and crafts, storytelling, nature learning, field trips, and special events;
- Monitors and inspects all areas of the Alamogordo Family Recreation Center to include the gym areas, youth activities area, locker rooms, pool, hallways and lobby/waiting areas utilized by youth programs to ensure that they are safe for use and properly maintained;
- Ensures the safety and general well-being of program participants as well as facility patrons;
- Enthusiastically interacts with program participants using age-appropriate language and positive facial expressions and gestures;
- Fosters positive community relations through contacts with participants, parents/guardians, volunteers, and other patrons;
- Provides safe transportation of children from one location to another by driving and/or accompanying other authorized drivers in City-owned passenger vans;
- Promptly reports any and all safety concerns (relational, behavioral, environmental) to the Recreation Tech II and completes accurate and timely injury and/or incident reports;
- Uses computers and other general office equipment in the performance of duties;
- Assists in the stocking and rotation of food supplies for youth camps and after-school program;
- Assists in the performance of general custodial duties, including mopping, dusting, sweeping, etc. to maintain the facility in a clean and sanitary manner; cleans and sanitizes gear and equipment utilized by youth programs;
- Assists in the set up and take down of equipment used in activities and special events;
- May instruct, referee, or score for youth sports activities;
- May provide guidance to Seasonal-Summer staff when offsite or in the absence of the supervisor or other regular (year-round) staff;
- May provide first aid or CPR as needed;
- Assists with special events/programs hosted by the Community Services Department;
- Contributes to a high-quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
- Interacts professionally and provides excellent customer service to all levels of City staff and citizens, to ensure high operational and service standards; and
- Performs duties in accordance with the Employee Manual, Department Policies and Procedures, City of Alamogordo Ordinances, and any applicable State or Federal authority.
OTHER IMPORTANT DUTIES
- Duties may be performed outside of normal working hours;
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during performance of duties; and
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Safe and effective methods of supervising, interacting with, and motivating children;
- Safety requirements pertaining to indoor/outdoor activities and recreational programs;
- Fitness, sports, crafts, playground games, and other activities;
- CPR and first aid techniques; and
- Effective cleaning techniques.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions;
- Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication;
- Remain focused on the well-being of program participants by avoiding distractions such as non-work-related cell phone use or non-work-related conversations with co-workers;
- Ensure that sensitive and/or demographic information regarding program participants remains confidential;
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently and operate standard office equipment;
- Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions;
- Drive a City vehicle;
- Obtain and maintain the necessary certifications/licenses required for the position;
- Work well with others and participate fully in a team-oriented environment;
- Interface with other employees and citizens in a courteous and respectful manner;
- Project positive support of the department and all City organizations always; and
- Maintain and enhance the Family Recreation Center's commitment to customer service excellence.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- High school diploma or GED;
- At least six (6) months of experience working with children (i.e., teaching, coaching, volunteering in clubs or organizations focused on group activities for boys and girls, babysitting);
- Valid CPR and First Aid certificates or the ability to obtain within 90 days of hire date;
- Valid New Mexico Driver's License with a driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo (valid out-of-state license may be considered). License must meet the criteria to carry passengers in a 12-passenger van;
- Or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- College-level courses in recreation or physical education, or in a field related to working with children.
- Work will be performed both indoors and outdoors;
- Varied outdoor weather conditions may include heat, rain, wind, odors, dust, and pollen;
- Risk of physical injury while participating in sport and fitness activities;
- The noise level in the work area may be moderately noisy.
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk; bend, turn, twist, kneel, squat, and reach; lift and carry, push or pull up to 50 pounds independently or with assistance;
- Required to wear activity-appropriate attire which may include personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for some job assignments; and
- Must be able to work odd and irregular hours including shift work, days, nights, weekends, holidays, split shifts, and special events. Overtime hours may be required on occasion.