POSITION TITLE: Fiber Splicer
POSTING START/END: 02/22/2023 –Until filled
POSITION STATUS: Non-Exempt
Anyone interested in the above vacancy should submit a complete application packet to the Human Resources Manager accompanied by a letter stating your credentials, and why you consider yourself a good candidate for this position. All applications for this position must be submitted expeditiously as the company desires to fill this position as soon as possible. Only complete application packets will be accepted. On-line application instructions can be found at https://www.tularosa.net/employment-opportunities/
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY: Prepares, tests, and splices fiber optic cable in accordance with standards and specifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepares and splices various types of outside plant fiber optic cables.
- Proficient with using fusion splicers and test equipment for troubleshooting purposes (i.e., OTDR, power meter, and red light traffic identifier).
- Uses appropriate tools and proper hardware to meet all applicable codes and safety requirements.
- Coordinates and communicates closely with other departments within the Company in a professional manner.
- Builds and works in complex splice closures and/or cabinets.
- May confer with customers to further troubleshoot and determine problems as well as acceptable resolutions.
- Completes daily work assignments autonomously and with little to no supervision.
- Provides detailed and accurate verifications of fiber optic patch panels and junction splicing in pedestals or vaults.
- Completes all installation related forms and reports.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by the Plant Maintenance Supervisor.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Two years of Communications technician and/or Cable Splicer experience required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to read and understand complex splicing schematics and accurately apply them to staking sheets and splicing details.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, maps, staking sheets and regulations.
- Ability to splice large counts of fiber in all types of weather and temperatures for extended periods of time.
- Knowledge of fiber counts and the ability to count fibers (i.e., buffer tube and strand color) while understanding facility maps and following GPS coordinates.
- Possess ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds on a frequent basis, bend, scoop, crawl, kneel, climb and second ladders, and perform work using a full range of body motions.
- Requires ability to handle physically exerting workloads with routine exposure to dust, dirt, wind, and temperature extremes.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces, such as a confined splicing trailer, for extended periods of time splicing large count cables (up to 288 strand) in cases, cassettes, and cabinets.
- Familiarity of services includes technological knowledge.
- Knowledge of voice and data communications technology.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Skill in operating service equipment including fire splicing equipment, aerial bucket trucks and pole climbing as needed.
- Skill in performing computer tasks in Microsoft and in-house Company software.
- Demonstrate troubleshooting skill in high pressure situations.
- Possess a strong commitment to quality customer service.
- Ability to write and speak in a concise, clear and polite manner.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Disagreeable working conditions that require ambulating in confined spaces along with frequent exposure to elements and vision acuity needed to perform essential functions.
COMMENTS: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees in the position. Noting in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign job duties as required. The job description is not to be construed as a guaranteed contract of employment for a definite period of time.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!